You remember this sucker among the collection of other music compilation CDs. No, not Pure Moods again, but that one was great too.
We’re talking about…
Because remember: Every bad boy has a soft side.
Get the hell out of here.
Glam rock, hair metal, cock rock, or whatever you want to call it, is a very disjointed genre. Some of the bands of the 80s rock genre are actual heavy metal offsets from legitimate classic rock. Others…well…
I’m sorry– Poison and Motley Crue are Rockabilly. They are not anything related to metal.
Man, it felt good to finally put that in writing.
Look at these songs that were on the original Monster Ballads album. Look at them.
- “I Remember You” – Skid Row – 5:14
- “Heaven” – Warrant – 3:56
- “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” – Poison – 4:20
- “Fly to the Angels” – Slaughter – 4:31
- “Don’t Know What You Got (Till It’s Gone)” – Cinderella – 5:49
- “When the Children Cry” – White Lion – 4:19
- “Headed for a Heartbreak” – Winger – 4:00
- “Forever” – Kiss – 3:49
- “Love of a Lifetime” – FireHouse – 4:48
- “High Enough” – Damn Yankees – 4:17
- “Is This Love” – Whitesnake – 4:42
- “Love Song” – Tesla – 4:04
- “To Be with You” – Mr. Big – 3:20
- “Don’t Close Your Eyes” – Kix – 4:17
- “Carrie” – Europe – 4:32
- “More Than Words” – Extreme – 4:10
- “Wind of Change” – Scorpions – 3:43
- “Silent Lucidity” – Queensrÿche – 5:46
So tell me– what’s the one thing they have in common?
That’s right. They suck.
Hair metal bands had a formula; you released an anthem and you released a ballad (IE: Love Song), and if you could do both successfully, you’d mark your place on the charts.
But you know…love is such a subjective thing.
So whip out your mixed tape and prepare to swoon, because today on PopLurker, we’re counting down 10 Cock Rock Love Songs that are way better than everything on Monster Ballads.
10) Into the Fire by Dokken
Temptation, desire, lust, and some fire. This song has everything.
9) Hysteria by Def Leppard
If I ever made a bio-pic of my boring ass life, this song would be the break up song.
8) I Want You by KISS
You can run, you can hide, but you’ll never get away. Nice.
7) Mad About You by Slaughter
The only Slaughter song that matters.
6) I Still Love You by KISS
THIS is the monster ballad by KISS everyone should be talking about.
5) Poison by Alice Cooper
“I want to hurt you just to hear you screaming my name”. *clothes melt off*
4) Animal (Fuck Like a Beast) by WASP
Now THIS is a love song! Blackie Lawless does everything right,
3) Rhythm of Love by Scorpions
For a bunch of creepy looking German dudes, the Scorpions were really good at wanting to have sex with us.
2) Round and Round by Ratt
Ratt are the best bad boys with a soft side ever. Our love will find a way, just give it time! So patient.
1) Still Loving You by The Scorpions
Without joking around, ‘Still Loving You’ by Scorpions is the most beautiful love song in the world. It’s one of the few that can always make me choke up and feel feelings.
Damn you, feelings!